Silesian Risings Museum in Świętochłowice was convened by the act of the City Council in Świętochłowice no. XXI/257/12 on 18th July 2012.
The Museum is responsible for the protection of all the cultural goods material and non-material that relate to the history of the Silesian Risings as well as those that constitute the history of the city per se.
The object has been created in accordance with the newest trends in museums. As a narration museum it presents original exhibits like replicas and reproductions in a way that allows the visitor to get closer to them.
Using multimedia and the film path the visitor can be transferred to the reality of Silesia from the beginning of the 20th century. The scenography of rooms is related to the places of utmost historical importance. For those who are more inquisitive the organizers prepared multimedia posts where they can easily broaden their knowledge.
Such a way of presenting history is modern, complex and interesting. And the youngest visitors can learn history having fun with intellectual games.
Silesian Risings Museum is situated in the historic building in the Polaka 1 St. It was built on the project prepared by Emilia and Georga Zillmann in 1907 for the administration of the Donnersmarcks Principality. In the years 1916 – 1939 it was the place where the commune office was sit, later between 1945 -1989 it was the militia headquarters, and since 1989 police headquarters. On the New Year’s Eve 1999/2000 the building was burned and for the next years it waited for renovation.
The revitalization began in the spring 2013. The roof with a characteristic tower was rebuilt, and the same was done with the ceiling on the second floor. All the installations and windows were changed. The construction got new plaster and floors. The elevation was cleaned and restored so that it did not differ from the historic one. The lift was also rebuild and the whole building was adapted to all requirements of a museum.
The Silesian Uprisings Museum has come to existence thanks to RPOWSL funding in the years 2007 – 2013 with the sum PLN 7 707 937,28. The exhibition was granted by the Culture and National Heritage Ministry with PLN 900 000.
The project was co-funded by the European Union from European Regional Development Fund as a part of Operation Program for Silesia 2007 – 2013